Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More Honey Locust





Any day now the branches of the honey locust will be filled with white fountains;

in my hands I will see the holy seeds and a sweetness will rise up

from those petal-bundles so heavy I must close my eyes to take it in,

to bear such generosity....

I hope that you too will pause to admire the slender trunk,

the leaves, the holy seeds, the ground they grow from year after year

with striving and patience;

and I hope that you too will say a word of thanks for such creation

out of the wholesome earth,  which would be, and dearly is it needed,

a prayer for all of us.


Dogwood, magnolia, hickory, cedar, and oak
Every day you greet me out my windows
With patience you remind me of
           beauty
                  growth
                       death
myself, no self, all ourselves
I bow in gratitude

What do you give thanks for today, which is a prayer for all beings?

No comments:

Post a Comment