Sunday, December 12, 2010

What is the Greatest Gift






What is the greatest gift?
Could it be the world itself-the oceans, the meadowlark,
the patience of the trees in the wind?
Could it be love, with its sweet clamor of passion?

Something else-something else entirely holds me in thrall.
That you have a life that I wonder about
more than I wonder about my own.
That you have a life-courteous and intelligent-that
I wonder about more than I wonder about my own.
That you have a soul-your own, no one else's-that
I wonder about more than I wonder about my own.
So that I find my soul clapping its hands for yours more than my own.



Every day, at some point, I find myself bringing my hands together and offering a Namaste bow of humility to someone or something in my life.  Yesterday I bowed in words to others on a conference call - their beauty and depth, heck, their very existence wowed me. 
Maybe today I will only bow to the sun's rising (quick, my friend is rising now, I'll be right back).  Perhaps I'll look at my spouse with open curiosity, and squeal like a child as I clap my hands in delight at some antic he performs for my benefit.  Such as breathing. Such as existing.  Such as not being me.  What a relief that there are countless others who are not me.  Wait, who are also me.  I applaud this abundance.

Where does your soul clap for others?

1 comment: