Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Ask Percy How I Should Live My Life




Love, love, love, says Percy.
And run as fast as you can
Along the shining beach, or the rubble, or the dust.

Then, go to sleep.
Give up your body heat, your beating heart.
Then trust.



I am channeling Mary, or so I wish.  Yesterday I ended with a reflection that leads right into this poem. You may even think that what I wrote yesterday came from me reading a few poems ahead. Not so.  I have not read any of these poems before and I hold myself back to one poem a day.  So I am surprised as you are that I spoke of running and chasing leaves, and then lying down to bury my ego into the ground. 

Now that I think of it, perhaps it is not Mary’s soul that is seeping through me after this nearly year of rising with Mary’s poems, but Percy’s.  But then the Buddhist in me says, “Remember either soul is the other soul, and is the universal soul. Trust in this.”

Last night I attended the “Transgender Day of the Dead” on the Boston Commons.  There was such a diversity of bodies, expressions, and experiences.  I’m glad I went, for in their soul wrenching stories of loss and oppression, I found my own soul loving a little harder and my heart running a bit faster as I marveled at how others can trust so deeply that we all share the same, eternal deep, beauty.

May we rest in this truth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment