Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Answers - January 19, 2010


..I sat in the kitchen sorting through volumes of answers

That could not solve the mystery of the trees.

My grandmother stood among her kettles and ladles.

Smiling, in faulty grammar,

She praised my fortune and urged my lofty career,

So to please her I studied - but I will remember always

How she poured confusion out, how she cooled and labeled

All the wild sauces of the brimming year.

My goal is to read one Mary Oliver poem before the sun rises each day of this year 2010. I was a little later today than usual as the sun just topped the horizon and came pouring through my back porch window after the light wove through the welcoming woods behind our house. That light, filtered by the trees and an ample night's rest, seemed so simple, so complete, seemed to answer questions I had not even formed yet.

Spending these 19 days with Mary, this poem and the previous others speak to what might be Mary's answer to the unsolvable mystery of life.

· Rhythm of reality (of life, death, seasons, nature, pain, light, dark)

· Harvest (intimate embrace of reality, bringing reality into your being, home, and house, be strong and try to hold reality)

· Abundance/wildness (love is all around)

· Simplicity (be here now)

How do you answer life when circumstances demand your attention to seek meaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment