Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Percy Speaks While I am Doing Taxes




First of all, I do not want to be doing this.
Second of all, Percy does not want me
  to be doing this.
hanging over my desk like a besieged person
  with a dull pencil and innumerable lists
    of numbers.

Outside the water is blue, the sky is clear,
  the tide rising.
Percy, I say, this has to be done. This is
  essential. I'll be finished eventually.

Keep me in your thoughts, he replies. Just because
  I can't count to ten doesn't mean
I don't remember yesterday, or anticipate today.
  I give you one more hour, then we step out
into the beautiful, money-deaf gift of the world
and run.


Just this last month I read about language research with a dog who knew 1000 words.  They do understand a lot.

Currently I am reading the book, "Parrot Behavior" and just yesterday read about parrots that know not just hundreds of words, but can combine words into meaningful sentences.  They do understand a lot.

All of this reminds me of the movie, "Forest Gump" where Forest says, "I may not be smart, but I know what love is."

No matter how we see the intelligence of another being, whether it is comparable to humans or to other species or not, I do believe that we share with the other social vertebrates a common neural structure of emotional responses that evolved out of this beautiful earth.

Baby, we were born to run, to love, and feel deep gratitude for the gifts around us.


What were you born to do?


No comments:

Post a Comment