Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Halleluiah






Everyone should be born into this world happy
and loving everything.
But in truth it rarely works that way.
For myself, I have spent my life clamoring toward it.
Halleluiah, anyway I'm not where I started!

And have you too been trudging like that, sometimes
almost forgetting how wondrous the world is
and how miraculously kind some people can be?
And have you too decided that probably nothing important
is ever easy?
Not, say, for the first sixty years.

Halleluiah, I'm sixty now, and even a little more,
and some days I feel I have wings.



The story I tell of myself was that I was born a happy child.  I recall feeling such love for my siblings and parents, or at least empathy.  I had a sense of the drudgery of my father and mother. This didn't impact me greatly for I spent as much time as I could with birds, and flew free. Then somewhere in the growing up, I lost the ability for the over view, and returned to the mud and harshness of the terrestrial life. 

The span of these middle adult years had a lot of harsh landings, and a lot of escapist time up in the air.  Alternating between dreams and grounding may have been challenging, as I believe it is for most of us in our middle years, but what skills we acquire! Now is the time to fly low to the ground so we can wrap our wings around the suffering and the gorgeous. 

At what level do you fly today?

2 comments:

  1. Mary must know that being 60 doesn't mean the rest of life will be easy. In fact in some ways it is hard growing old and accomodating an older body.

    Today, I'm not flying way up in the stratosphere, but I am above ground level by quite a bit. I still dream of healing our nation and getting back to making living beings more important than materialistic things. I helped feed the homeless yesterday. I watched people who when they said, "Thank you!" really meant it. Their eyes still sparkled in anticipation that things would get better. The children took my heart away with them. What are they taking away from the experience of being homeless and not knowing where their next meal may come from? Probably at school or day care. We cannot cut the free lunch program and rein in the budget. As long as there is hope, things can get better. I tend to be the eternal optimist. But I'm not the only one. There were six other people just like me who saw the value of helping and felt good and warm inside watching them eat their treasures and save some for later.

    ReplyDelete