Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Pretty Song


From the complications of loving you

I think there is no end or return.

No answer, no coming out of it.

Which is the only way to love, isn't it?

This isn't a play ground, this is

earth, our heaven, for a while.

Therefore I have given precedence

to all my sudden, sullen, dark moods

that hold you in the center of my world.

And I say to my body: grow thinner still.

And I say to my fingers, type me a pretty song.

And I say to my heart: rave on


I once had a dream in my early thirties. This was a time of me of conflict and pain, and my dreams captured this by having reoccurring themes of loss. In this one dream, I actually dreamed a music video that sang, "Love is not enough, and it ain't dead yet." Somehow in my wisdom I knew that the loss would never go away and the only response was to love all the harder, even though there was no guarantee that it would solve anything or lessen the pain.

Just this past weekend I helping to facilitate a Unitarian Univeralist spiritual retreat for the Mississippi congregations. In that time we as a group reflected on joys and sorrows and came up with a response to this. Our joy is the source of our sorrow - for we desire love and connection, and not getting "enough" of this causes pain. So our answer? Well, more love, more connection, more hope, and more joy. It's pretty much a "no brainer" and an "all hearter." What could be more simple, or more harder/hearter?

Today, whatever is your loss, please join with me in responding my loving more. For when we sing, "There is more love, somewhere" it can be now, with you, with us, this next breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment