Saturday, April 23, 2011
This - I said to Percy when I had left our bed and gone out onto the living room couch where he found me apparently doing nothing – this is called thinking. It’s something people do, not being entirely children of the earth, like a dog or a tree or a flower. His eyes questioned such an activity…Actually I like kissing better.
A Year's Rising with Mary Oliver's Poems
January 1, 2010 - April 23, 2011
Oh Mary and readers, we are at our last poem together and it is one where I resist her words. This happens so rarely. For I feel that people are entirely children of this earth. Our thinking is as the sap rising in the tree and a dog drooling. Maybe if I had the gift of genius of words that Mary had, I too would feel a separation from life around me. For how can words capture the kiss of the morning sun upon one’s face and the caress of the wind or a feathered wing?
I suppose they can’t, but they do remind us where the path is.
So I thank you Mary for this time together, for keeping me on the path to see beauty, tragedy, interconnection - reality - in all moments.
And now I think I will lay down my pen, and go and kiss the ground and hug a tree - my future and always daily nature meditation.
What might you share with others here about your experience of Mary’s poems and our shared reflections?
What is your daily nature meditation?
8. Mary Oliver-5/15/10. The Egret.They are gone,having tasted sheer terror.Look!Look!What is this dark death that opens like a white door?Sat May 15 2010 08:32:20 (Eastern Daylight Time) via web
25. Mary Oliver-5/7/2010.Hawk.This morning the hawk rose up, heaven's fistful of death and destruction.It turned into a white blade, which fell.Sat May 08 2010 18:58:30 (Eastern Daylight Time) via web
39. MO...they are nothing?To love this world, the macaw, the marsh lily, the sunset is to love one's self, wild and perfect.Growing, changing,Fri Apr 30 2010 09:00:12 (Eastern Daylight Time) via web
55. The sun doesn't wait for deliberations, her morning invitation sent upon still waters lingers not beyond the moment waiting forSun Apr 25 2010 12:23:01 (Eastern Daylight Time) via web
71. Mary Oliver-4/20/2010.Wed Apr 21 2010 08:31:18 (Eastern Daylight Time) via web
Some Herons - April 12 in Regular Blog
Indonesia - April 11 in Regular Blog
The Swan - April 10 in Regular Blog
Lilies – April 9, 2010
In a few days I will be traveling around Central America with marginal capacity to connect to the internet. My hope is to use a mobile phone to tweet into this blog to keep in touch as I continue to read daily one Mary Oliver poem and reflect upon it. I will only be taking one book with me as I dive into La Moskitia area in Honduras, and it will be Mary's poems. If the reception is there, check into this blog and look down to the right and below to see the text messages that come through from twitter. I tried to do this today as an example for the poem - Lilies. I don't actually leave the country until Monday, so let me know if you have any feedback on how this works for you on the comment section below.
Lily loving liberal bleeding heart and proud of it,
§ What do you do when you get lonely? about 14 hours ago
§ If I were a lily to be eaten by a cow, tell me, would I know any more how, to bow before the winds and wings of loneliness? about 14 hours ago
§ Lilies-mary oliver.iI have been thinking about living like the lilies that blow in the field. about 14 hours ago